Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Difficult choices to make... A retrospective view.

Hmmm... There come many situations where we need to choose. Most often than not, the situation will be complicated enough to put that element of doubt and that uncertainty in the mind...

Being kids, life is lot simpler. Kids dont have to THINK before talking, they say kids have an uncluttered mind and speak whatever is there on their mind.
Ask a kid a question and you get an instantaneous answer. There lies no fear in the kid's mind; there never is a thought "What if I am wrong?" "What will the other person think" "How will I be able to say that?" "Will it be appropriate?".
Some times Aayi tells me; when I was about 5-6 years old, one of my aunts asked Vinay and me "Whom do you like the most? Aayi or Pappa?". Aayi says that we replied "Both". I don't know what made us reply that way, but we did. We had to make a choice, but it was not difficult when we were kids...

Being adults, many things change. We think more, talk less, make assumptions (wrong many a times)and then react. Today, if someone asks me "What is the effect of the slow-down on the IT industry?" The answer will obviously be different to different people... There seems to be an invisible fence around us that blurs the thoughts, limits the freedom and induces fear.

You may ask... What fear am I talking about?
Since the time I have learned to understand and comprehend things, I have observed that fear drives most of our decisions. When it comes to making important choices, fear has the upper hand. Fear of failure in exam, more than the interest in a subject makes a student study. The fear of being outcast in the society drives a person to take action consistent with the "Society Norms". The fear of hurting his family makes a son hide his emotions. Fear of losing a job makes an employee work his skin out. The list is endless...

It is such a powerful entity that it even forces people to trample on their likings and takes away the freedom.

Such are the consequences...
It is impossible to get rid of fear, but it is possible to get the priorities right so that the impact of fear is minimal. Some choices must be made based on the merit of each choice and not by succumbing to fear. Future cannot be predicted, so why make decisions based on an assumed fear?

Now, let me make some conscious decisions...
Should I believe in my intuitions or should I go by the rules? I don't know!!!
That is why I say.. IT IS A DIFFICULT CHOICE TO MAKE...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post and so true :)